Thursday, March 22, 2012

i can do hard things.

I have played soccer most of my life and I love it. The adrenaline, the drive and the pressure. Everything about this magnificent sport makes me push myself to be better and there is always something to improve. 

Last night, I played with my intramural soccer team. It is a coed team and we are playing in a single elimination tournament. It was the second round and it was an intense game. We played down a player for most of the game due to a red card ( it was unfortunate but we deserved it) We held them at 4-4 the whole game and ended up having to go to PKs. Now I have played soccer my whole life and have never enjoyed taking PKs. It's just you and the goalie. They line the ball up, goalie stands on the goalie line, they blow the whistle and you should the ball. Doesnt seem too hard right? Well I tend to wig myself out. It is a completely mental aspect of soccer. Sure it takes skill, but it is the mental ability to relinquish all nerves and just be calm.. I am never calm. So when my team said I had to shoot, i freaked and said put me last. what are the odds that we would go all the way to the 5th kicker right? we would win before then.. Turns out we went to the 5th player. it was 3-3 in PKs, I was the last shooter. I had to score to win. As I walked up to the  PK line, knees shaking. All my training from my mom and grandpa came into my head 
**remain calm**
 ** dont give away where you are going to shoot** 
** its about finesse not power** 
**breathe** 
I walked up thinking "you can do this". I bent my head; not even looking at the goalie. Years of soccer have taught me where the goal is. It doesnt move, I dont need to watch it. I concentrated on the ball. I took my steps to the ball, shot, and scored! 
The euphoria from my team was astounding. We created our celebratory circle, cheering and screaming. Then thanked the other team for a hard fought battle. 
I can do hard things. 
I can do the things that petrify me if I use the counsel of those who are wiser
If I realize it is about finesse instead of power and most importantly 
if I remember to remain calm and breathe. 
Life throughs us curve balls in all sorts of places and soccer has taught me that I can do hard things. 


No comments:

Post a Comment