Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I see the light

its funny how the spring semester contrasts with the fall/winter semesters. There is a sense of beauty and realization about spring. the nice weather and the knowledge that these 3 hour classes only last for 7 weeks.
 But this semester is different for me as well because it is my last. Sure, my internship is still part of my schooling, but after this short spring semester, my chapter at BYU will be over. 
I will not have any reason to come back, no more classes to take. And for that reason, this semester has taken on special meaning. Especially since I am right back where I started 3 1/2 years ago.. doing G.E classes.
 For the past year and a half, I have focused on my major/minor. These classes were tough and challenged me. But they were very direct in what they were teaching.
 They were all about elementary education and teaching English learners. There was absolutely no diversity. 
Now I am back in general classes where the main theme is 
"you get out of this class what you put into it".
 For me, generals helped me to discover who I was as a freshman and sophomore. They caused me to reflect on myself and the type of person I was.
 I had forgotten about this until now.
 As I sit in these classes, I find myself re-evaluating who I have become, what I believe and more importantly, why I believe. Granted, my classes aren't actually asking me these questions.
 In fact, they are focusing on the topic at hand, in this case, western humanities and religion. Both very thought provoking topics. Both require a lot of self reflection and inner debate.They challenge me and cause me to rethink what I know. 
For example, my humanities teacher asked us to define beauty. 
Not the websters definition but our own. 
Is beauty an action? or is it simply an object?
 How can we give something a grade/ number determining its beauty?
It is these kind of questions that drive and irritate me, all at the same time. I have become accustom to the facts/lecture type of teaching. 
Tell me what I need to know for the test.  
Instead, these classes are pushing me to truly reflect and evaluate what it is that I believe and care about. 

 I have a feeling that I am going to enjoy this last semester at BYU.  

No comments:

Post a Comment