Tuesday, November 8, 2011

peanut butter peanut butter jelly jelly

I am loving the first grade! Today, I taught a lesson on sequencing, focusing on first, next, then, last. To teach my adorable little first graders, I had them make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We only had one girl with a peanut allergy and she could be around it. She just couldnt eat it. So, I supplied her with butter and jam. she was in heaven. The sequence we worked on was: First, we take the bread, next we spread the peanut butter, then we spread the jelly and last, we put it together and eat it. The kids were so excited, thinking that it was a party and not a lesson. To make sure they actually learned something, I had the students use graphic organizers to draw the sequence. Then before they were able to eat, they had to write the PB&J sequence using FIRST, NEXT, THEN, LAST. It went better than i could have ever imagined and the kids absolutely loved it. They continue to amaze me with how much they can learn and how excited they are to be in a classroom. It is inspiring to me and makes me want to continue to grow in education. When I started this major, I thought for sure I would want to teach the upper grades, but these little cuties are changing my mind! How could you not love 7 year olds and then oddities. I know I am in the right major because I wake up everyday so excited to go back into the classroom. PEANUT BUTTER PEANUT BUTTER JELLY JELLY!

No comments:

Post a Comment